DEADLINE: AUGUST 1, 2020 ― Representatives of professional journalism organisations (unions/associations/societies) and freelance journalists are eligible to apply for the 2020 Fetisov Journalism Awards.
While a maximum of 3 (three) journalists from one journalism organisation can be nominated for participation in the contest, self-nominations are also allowed.
A submission form may be filled out by a representative of a registered organisation nominating another journalist or by a nominee.
One entry (one reporting or a series of reportings) from one person is accepted.
Publications (stories/articles/reportings) participating in the contest must have been published in printed media (newspapers/magazines/journals) and/or posted on media websites/outlets from June 1st, 2019 to May 31st, 2020.
The word restriction for the submitted publications is 20,000 words.
Films, videos and audio recordings as separate pieces of work are not accepted for the contest.
One publication must be attached to the application form in accordance with the instructions on the website. If a series of publications on one subject are submitted for the contest they must be sent in one file. The attached file must be in PDF format and must not exceed 10 Mb.
A signed scanned copy of the author’s consent to participate in the contest must be attached to the application form if the application is submitted by the third person.
If a nominated publication was created by a team of authors each of the authors must sign a letter of consent. A letter of consent (or several letters scanned in one file) should be attached to the application form and submitted via the website.
All entries must be provided in English while publications in languages other than English will be accepted provided that they are accompanied by translation into English.
The translation must be provided in the same file as the original publication. The translation must be carried out by a professional translator and be of high quality. The translation must be accurate and complete; it has to be carried out in line with the norms and standards of the English language. Translation through an automatic engine is not valid. Word-for-word translation is not allowed.
Materials published in printed media, posted on media websites and media will be accepted for participation in the contest.
Entries for the four categories of the Fetisov Journalism Awards – Outstanding Contribution to Peace, Contribution to Civil Rights, Outstanding Investigative Reporting and Excellence in Environmental Journalism – opened on April 15, 2020, and will close on August 1, 2020 (23:59 UTC).
The shortlist will be defined by November 1, 2020, and published on the Fetisov Journalism Awards website.
Winners of the Fetisov Journalism Awards will be selected by December 1, 2020, after which they will be informed accordingly.
The winning projects in each category will be revealed at the award ceremony on February 10, 2021.
The total prize fund is 520,000 CHF. Three winners in each category share a monetary prize of 130,000 CHF (including taxes, as stipulated by the legislation in force):
- The first prize winner receives 100,000 CHF.
- The second prize winner receives 20,000 CHF.
- The third prize winner receives 10,000 CHF.
The following details must be indicated in the form:
Personal details about the representative of a journalism organization:
- Surname and first name;
- Professional journalism organization you are representing;
- Country of registration of the professional journalism organization;
- Contact details (phone number, e-mail)
Personal details about the author of the publication:
- Surname and first name;
- Citizenship or country of residence;
- Author’s place of work (name of an organization and address);
- Author’s position;
- Contact details (phone number, e-mail);
- Contact details of organizations for requesting references about the author(-s);
- A signed copy of the author’s (authors’) consent to participate in the contest if the application is submitted by the third person (PDF, 10 Mb maximum size)
Data about the publication
- Category of the competition;
- Information about the publication (title and media platform where the reporting was published, country of publication (for printed publications);
- Original language of publication;
- Link(-s) to the publication, date of publication;
- Reasons for nomination in brief (a few statements)
For inquiries please contact us by email firstname.lastname@example.org
Publication Assessment Criteria
The following criteria are taken into account in assessment of publications:
- Accuracy: ensuring the information is fact-based and reliable;
- Independence: avoiding political and corporate bias and undue influence;
- Impartiality and fairness;
- Humanity: how principles of non-discrimination and respect for victims, minorities and vulnerable groups are applied
- Transparency: how the reporting process was out in the open and the athors made themselves accountable
- Promotion of ethical principles
- Positive impact of a publication on the political, economic or social situation in a particular area, country or globally.