DEADLINE: DECEMBER 6TH 2019
Media Trust Limited, publishers of Daily Trust and other newspaper titles is desirous of recruiting a competent, self-motivated and result-oriented candidate to fill the position a Business Editor.
Media Trust Limited is also into commercial printing as well as Brand Marketing Research for the purpose of identifying new opportunities for business values. Each market research report delivers insight across a wide range of crucial factors such as market size, growth drivers, competitive landscape, trends, and forecasts.
- The successful candidate will perform a variety of editorial duties, such as laying out, indexing, and revising the content of written materials, in preparation for final publication.
- The candidate also oversees the publication of a title in the Media Trust newspaper.
Duties And Responsibilities
- Prepare, rewrite and edit business stories, reports, interviews and features
- Supervising and monitoring of business reporters.
- Plan the contents of business pages according to the Media Trust style and editorial policy.
- Verify facts, dates, and statistics, using standard reference sources.
- Review and approve proof submitted by reporters, prior to publication production.
- Develop stories and content ideas, considering readers and audience appeal.
- Assign topics, events and stories to individual reporters for coverage.
- Read, evaluate and edit manuscripts or other materials submitted for publication and confer with Editor Daily Trust Newspaper regarding changes in content or publication.
- Monitor news-gathering operations to ensure utilisation of all news sources, such as press releases, telephone contacts, radio, television, wire services, and other reporters.
- Meet frequently with business departments to strategize on revenue generations to the company;
- Select local, state, national, and international news items received from wire services, based on the assessment of items’ significance and interest value;
- Any other duty assigned.
Qualification And Experience
- Minimum of a degree in English or Mass Communication. A master’s degree in the cognate area will be an advantage.
- Minimum of 8 years’ proven journalism experience with at least 4 years at a middle editorial position.
- Membership of NUJ or relevant professional bodies is important.
Skills And Competencies
- Rich professional experience in editorial work;
- Understands the structure and content of the English Language including the meaning and spelling of words, rules of composition, and grammar.
- Knowledgeable about media production, communication, and dissemination techniques and methods. This includes alternative ways to inform and entertain via written, oral, and visual media;
- Excellent oral and written communication skills;
- Has knowledge of business, financial, government regulations, executive orders, agency rules, and business politics.
- Computer literate and knowledgeable about Microsoft Office Suite;
- Detailed knowledge of the company’s editorial policy and philosophy.
- Has a business drive, ability to work in a fast-paced environment, is flexible and has a “hands-on” approach.