Are you interested in journalism and media opportunities that are closing this December? You can check the list below for 14 media and journalism opportunities including training, grants, fellowships and awards that resonate with your niche and media career before the year runs out.
That’s not all. We’ve also compiled a list of media organisations you can send your exciting pitches and story ideas. Check the section on PITCHES for the full list.
As we all prepare for the new year ahead, it is pertinent to note that interested applicants must prepare their essays, proposals and other necessary details ahead to avoid late submissions.
- Journalists can apply for Knight-Wallace Fellowships: DEADLINE: DECEMBER 1, 2023 — Knight-Wallace Fellowships enable journalists who are eager for growth and deeply committed to the future of journalism to spend an academic year at the University of Michigan. APPLY HERE
- Nieman-Berkman Klein Fellowship in journalism innovation seeks proposals: DEADLINE: DECEMBER 1, 2023 —The Nieman-Berkman Klein Fellowship in Journalism Innovation seeks proposals relating to journalism innovation. APPLY HERE
- Apply for 2024 Berlin Energy Transition Dialogue Media Fellowship: DEADLINE: DECEMBER 4, 2023 — The German government invites international journalists to report on the Berlin Energy Transition Dialogue 2024 (#betd24), the leading international forum on green energy transformation. APPLY HERE
- Grants for proposals on environmental crimes in developing countries: DEADLINE: DECEMBER 4, 2023 — GRID-Arendal is offering grants for investigative journalism projects focused on environmental crimes in developing countries. APPLY HERE
- Reporters Without Borders’ Berlin fellowship strengthens digital security for journalists: DEADLINE: DECEMBER 4, 2023 — Reporters Without Borders Germany invites applications for its Berlin Fellowship Programme: Empowering Journalists in the Digital Field. APPLY HERE
- African Change Narrative Storytellers’ Fellowship for early career journalists: DEADLINE: DECEMBER 5, 2023 — The Africa Foundation for Young Media Professionals (AFYMP) invites early career journalists and broadcasters across Africa to apply for the African Change Narrative Storytellers’ Fellowship. APPLY HERE
- Maurice R. Greenberg World Fellows Programme seeks entries: DEADLINE: DECEMBER 6, 2023 — The Maurice R. Greenberg World Fellows Programme is currently open for applications for the 2024 programme. APPLY HERE
- JSK journalism fellowship seeks applications: DEADLINE: DECEMBER 6, 2023 — Journalists from around the world who are creating solutions to journalism’s most urgent problems can apply for this John S. Knight Journalism Fellowship. APPLY HERE
- Submit proposals for CatchLight Global Fellowship: DEADLINE: DECEMBER 9, 2023 — The CatchLight Global Fellowship harnesses the power of visual storytelling to change the world. APPLY HERE
- MDIF Ventures seeks applications from digital media for $1m investment fund: DEADLINE: DECEMBER 10, 2023 — The Media Development Investment Fund (MDIF) Ventures is inviting applications from digital media for its $1m investment fund. APPLY HERE
- The Obama Foundation Scholars programme opens for entries: DEADLINE: DECEMBER 12, 2023 — The Obama Foundation Scholars Programme at Columbia University seeks rising leaders from the United States and around the world. APPLY HERE
- ICFJ’s health innovation journalism fellowship seeks applications: DEADLINE: DECEMBER 15, 2023 — Journalists passionate about health innovation can apply for this Health Innovation Journalism Fellowship. APPLY HERE
- IWMF’s Kim Wall Memorial Fund seeks applications: DEADLINE: DECEMBER 17, 2023 — The International Women’s Media Foundation (IWMF)’s Kim Wall Memorial Fund will provide $5,000 grants to journalists covering important, underreported stories. APPLY HERE
- 2024 Anja Niedringhaus Courage in Photojournalism Award: DEADLINE: DECEMBER 17, 2023 —Women photojournalists can nominate themselves for the 2024 Anja Niedringhaus Courage in Photojournalism Award. APPLY HERE
ROLLING STORY GRANTS
Seeking funds for your next media projects? This Rolling Story Grants section is tailored for you.
- Fund for Investigative Journalism has grants for reporters: The Fund for Investigative Journalism (FIJ) offers grants for reporters to produce high-quality, unbiased, nonpartisan investigative stories that have an impact. APPLY HERE
- Kekere Storytellers Fund seeks African storytellers: DEADLINE: ROLLING — African storytellers passionate about changing the prevailing stereotypical narratives about Africa can apply for Africa No Filter’s Kekere Storytellers Fund. APPLY HERE
- Pulitzer Center has grants for data journalism projects: DEADLINE: ROLLING — The Pulitzer Center on Crisis Reporting is offering grants for innovative data-driven journalism projects that spotlight underreported issues. APPLY HERE
- MDIF Ventures wants to invest in growing media companies: The Media Development Investment Fund (MDIF) Ventures wants to invest in young and growing media companies with a positive social impact and potential to scale. APPLY HERE
- Women journalists can apply for IWMF Emergency Fund: Women journalists are invited to apply for the International Women’s Media Foundation (IWMF) Emergency Fund. APPLY HERE
- Howard G. Buffett Fund for female journalists: DEADLINE: ROLLING — Female journalists around the world can apply for the Howard G. Buffett Fund offered through the International Women’s Media Foundation (IWMF). APPLY HERE
- Reporters Shield offers legal protection for investigative reporting: Reporters Shield is a membership programme that provides investigative reporting with protection from legal threats. APPLY HERE
- LNJAR offers legal support for journalists and newsrooms worldwide: The Legal Network for Journalists at Risk (LNJAR) provides legal support to journalists and independent media outlets around the world. APPLY HERE
Where to submit story pitches? No worries, we’ve got you! Check below for exciting offers.
- BBC Africa Eye seeks pitches for investigative story ideas: BBC Africa Eye is currently accepting pitches for investigative story ideas. BBC Africa Eye is an investigative documentary programme that makes films from across the continent. APPLY HERE
- Diaspora Africa seeks pitches on African migration: Diaspora Africa seeks pitches from journalists and writers interested in reporting on African migration issues. APPLY HERE
- The SolutionsPaper seeks stories related to religious and ethnic extremism: The SolutionsPaper is looking for solutions-oriented pitches on stories related to religious and ethnic extremism. APPLY HERE
- Submit climate solutions pitches: The BBC Future Planet is looking for pitches on climate solutions for its Climate Guardians project. APPLY HERE
- Social Voices wants pitches on health technologies, health and development: Social Voices invites journalists to submit pitches on how initiatives that are tackling a health or development challenge. APPLY HERE
- Mongabay seeks stories about Africa: Mongabay invites proposals from journalists for conventional news stories, in-depth features, investigative reports, profiles, and case studies. APPLY HERE
- Rest of World seeks story pitches from Africa: Rest of World covers local stories with global relevance that explore the impact of technology on people and institutions outside the Western bubble. APPLY HERE
- Journalists can submit pitches on technology in Africa, others: The Rest of World invites journalists to submit pitches about technology in Africa, Asia, and Latin America. APPLY HERE
MORE MEDIA AND JOURNALISM OPPORTUNITIES FROM I-79 MEDIA
Looking to spice up the new year with brand new goals and ambitions? You can select from the list of applications closing in 2024.
- Journalists can apply for 2024 FASPE journalism programme: DEADLINE: JANUARY 2, 2024 — Journalism students and early-career journalists can apply for the Fellowships at Auschwitz for the Study of Professional Ethics (FASPE). APPLY HERE
- ZEKE Award seeks entries from photographers: DEADLINE: JANUARY 15, 2024 — Photographers are invited to submit entries for the 2024 edition of the ZEKE Award for Systemic Change and Documentary Photography. APPLY HERE
- NYU Global Journalist Fellowship seeks international journalists: DEADLINE: JANUARY 15, 2024 — Journalists reporting and working internationally can apply for the Global Journalist Fellowship. APPLY HERE
- Solutions Journalism Network awards open for entries: DEADLINE: JANUARY 16, 2024 — Journalists working in any size newsroom, or who work independently, can submit entries for the Solutions Journalism Network Awards. APPLY HERE
- Mark of Excellence Awards recognise best in student journalism: DEADLINE: JANUARY 22, 2024 — The Society of Professional Journalists (SPJ) seeks entries for the Mark of Excellence Awards, which honour the best in student journalism. APPLY HERE
- Michael Elliott Award for Excellence in African Storytelling seeks entries: DEADLINE: JANUARY 31, 2024 — The 2024 Michael Elliott Award for Excellence in African Storytelling invites applications from journalists in Africa. APPLY HERE
- TRACE Prize for Investigative Reporting seeks nominations: DEADLINE: JANUARY 31, 2024 — The TRACE Prize for Investigative Reporting recognises journalism that uncovers business-related bribery and financial crime. APPLY HERE
- Knight-Bagehot fellowship for business journalists seeks applications: DEADLINE: JANUARY 31, 2024 — Business journalists who want to take their reporting further and gain the skills to tackle bigger, more important stories can apply for the 2024-25 cohort of the Knight-Bagehot fellowship. APPLY HERE
- 2024 pan-African (Re)Insurance Journalism Awards seek entries: DEADLINE: FEBRUARY 15, 2024 — Journalists based in any African country can submit entries for the 9th edition of the pan-African (Re)Insurance Journalism Awards. APPLY HERE
- Matthew Power Literary Reporting Award seeks proposals: DEADLINE: FEBRUARY 22, 2024 — The Arthur L. Carter Journalism Institute of New York University invites applications for the Matthew Power Literary Reporting Award. APPLY HERE
- Apply for the Global Business Journalism programme: DEADLINE: MARCH 1, 2024 — The Global Business Journalism (GBJ) programme at Tsinghua University in Beijing, China seeks applications for the 2024-2025 academic year. APPLY HERE
Don’t forget to send your opinion pieces and articles from journalists, freelancers, media scholars, students and enthusiasts about issues relating to the operation and development of the media and journalism space to us at email@example.com, accompanied by full names and contact details of the writers/contributors.