Are you interested in journalism and media opportunities this June? There are several reasons why you should consider applying for the following journalism opportunities provided in this list.
New opportunities often bring fresh challenges and avenues for growth. Applying for some of these positions allows you to start a new chapter in your career, potentially in a different organisation or role that aligns with your goals and interests.
Each job application is an opportunity for self-reflection and improvement. By applying for journalism opportunities, you can refine your application materials, practice your interview skills, and gain a better understanding of the current job market and industry trends.
It is pertinent to note that interested applicants must prepare their essays, proposals and other necessary details ahead in order to avoid late submissions. Also remember to thoroughly research each opportunity, tailor your application materials, and showcase your skills and experiences that are most relevant to the specific engagement.
You can check the list below for media and journalism opportunities that resonate with your niche and media career. These media and journalism opportunities include training, grants, fellowships and awards from which media professionals and journalists can benefit. Good luck with your applications!
- Fellowship for young media professionals in Nigeria: DEADLINE: JUNE 5, 2023 — The Africa Foundation for Young Media Professionals (AFYMP) is accepting applications for its funded media fellowship. APPLY HERE
- Grants available for NGOs working to advance democracy: DEADLINE: JUNE 7, 2023 —The National Endowment for Democracy (NED) is offering grants to nongovernmental organisations (NGOs) worldwide working to advance democratic goals and strengthen democratic institutions. APPLY HERE
- Journalists can apply for NAMIP’s media product fellowship: DEADLINE: JUNE 10, 2023 — Early to mid-stage media professionals can apply for Nigeria Media Innovation Programme (NAMIP)’s Media Product Fellowship. APPLY HERE
- DIG Awards for investigative stories in video and audio formats: DEADLINE: JUNE 15, 2023 — The DIG Awards which recognise the best investigative stories in video and audio formats are currently open for applications. APPLY HERE
- Mid-career professionals in Nigeria can apply for Humphrey Fellowship: DEADLINE: JUNE 16, 2023 — Mid-career professionals in Nigeria can submit applications for the 2024 to 2025 Hubert H. Humphrey Fellowship Programme to enhance their leadership skills. APPLY HERE
- Media professionals can attend DW Global Media Forum: Media professionals can register for the 2023 Deutsche Welle (DW) Global Media Forum. The hybrid forum will hold in Bonn, Germany. APPLY HERE
- Photojournalism grant available for photojournalists worldwide: DEADLINE: JUNE 30, 2023 — Photojournalists worldwide can apply for the annual Eyewitness Photojournalism Grant. Three applicants will get $3,000 for their visual reporting projects. APPLY HERE
- 2023 African Fact-Checking Awards open for entries: DEADLINE: JUNE 30, 2023— Entries for the 2023 African Fact-Checking Awards are now open to journalists, journalism students, and professional fact-checkers. APPLY HERE
- Journalists can submit entries for West Africa Media Excellence Conference and Awards: DEADLINE: JUNE 30, 2023 — The Media Foundation for West Africa (MFWA) invites entries for the 7th edition of the West Africa Media Excellence Conference and Awards (WAMECA). APPLY HERE
- Wikimedia Foundation offers awards to African journalists: DEADLINE: JUNE 30, 2023 — African journalists living on the continent can self-nominate articles they have written to expand people’s knowledge about Africa. APPLY HERE
MORE ON ROLLING APPLICATIONS
- Journalists can partner with PAGED Initiative on girls’ education: PAGED Initiative wants to partner with dedicated journalists based in Kano or Kaduna to empower girls through education. APPLY HERE
- PAGED Initiative wants to partner with journalists to promote girls’ education: Participatory Communication for Gender Development (PAGED) Initiative wants to partner with journalists to promote girls’ education. APPLY HERE
- Submit pitches on global public health crises:The Examination, a start-up nonprofit newsroom focused on global public health crises, is accepting pitches. APPLY HERE
- Reporters, data scientist, others needed at Business Day: Business Day newspapers is accepting applications for these roles: reporters, data scientist, digital subscription sales executive, and social media expert. APPLY HERE
- Submit investigative story pitches to CCIJ: The Center for Collaborative Investigative Journalism (CCIJ) is currently accepting investigative story pitches from journalists. APPLY HERE
- Women journalists can apply for IWMF Emergency Fund: Women journalists are invited to apply for the International Women’s Media Foundation (IWMF) Emergency Fund. APPLY HERE
- Howard G. Buffett Fund for female journalists: DEADLINE: ROLLING — Female journalists around the world can apply for the Howard G. Buffett Fund offered through the International Women’s Media Foundation (IWMF). APPLY HERE
- Reporters Shield offers legal protection for investigative reporting: Reporters Shield is a membership programme that provides investigative reporting with protection from legal threats. APPLY HERE
- Media Viability Accelerator strengthens independent media outlets on financial sustainability: The Media Viability Accelerator (MVA) is a web-based platform that seeks to help news media become more financially sustainable. APPLY HERE
- Prime Progress seeks pitches on repressive practices in Africa: Prime Progress is accepting pitches for stories on repressive cultural, religious, and social practices across Nigeria and Africa. APPLY HERE
- O’Shaughnessy Fellowships offer innovative creators up to $100,000: DEADLINE: ROLLING — The O’Shaughnessy Fellowship is a one-year programme open to innovative creators around the world. APPLY HERE
- Social Voices wants pitches on health technologies, health and development: Social Voices invites journalists to submit pitches on how initiatives that are tackling a health or development challenge. APPLY HERE
- Mongabay seeks stories about Africa: Mongabay invites proposals from journalists for conventional news stories, in-depth features, investigative reports, profiles, and case studies. APPLY HERE
- Free counselling session for journalists to address mental health: Journalists can apply for this free counselling session to address their mental health. APPLY HERE
- Women journalists can submit pitches on environmental issues in Africa: The African Women in the Media (AWiM) seeks pitches on the gendered aspect of environmental issues in Africa. APPLY HERE
- Rest of World seeks story pitches from Africa: Rest of World covers local stories with global relevance that explore the impact of technology on people and institutions outside the Western bubble. APPLY HERE
- Journalists can submit pitches on technology in Africa, others: Rest of World invites journalists to submit pitches about technology in Africa, Asia, and Latin America. APPLY HERE
MORE MEDIA AND JOURNALISM OPPORTUNITIES FROM I-79 MEDIA
- African curators can submit entries for this fellowship: DEADLINE: JULY 2, 2023 — African curators can submit entries for the Open Country Mag Curatorial Fellowships sponsored by Africa No Filter. APPLY HERE
- Sir Harry Evans Global Fellowship for early-career journalists: DEADLINE: JULY 10, 2023 — Early-career journalists can apply for the 2024 Sir Harry Evans Global Fellowship. APPLY HERE
- Journalism conference for journalists and delegates from West Africa: The Centre for Journalism Innovation and Development (CJID) is hosting the maiden edition of the West Africa Journalism Innovation Conference (WAJIC). APPLY HERE
- Investigation grants for environmental journalism: DEADLINE: JULY 27, 2023 — Journalismfund Europe is offering investigation grants for environmental journalism. APPLY HERE
- Apply for AAAS Kavli Science Journalism Awards: DEADLINE: AUGUST 1, 2023 —Reporters working for independent news organisations around the world can apply for the science journalism awards. APPLY HERE
- Norbert Zongo African Prize opens to African investigative journalists: DEADLINE: AUGUST 15, 2023 —African investigative journalists in print, radio, television and online media can apply for the African Journalism Prize of Investigation Norbert Zongo (PAJI-NZ). APPLY HERE
- Photojournalists can apply for Ian Parry Photojournalism Grant: DEADLINE: AUGUST 31, 2023 —Young and emerging photographers are invited to submit applications for the 2023 Ian Parry Photojournalism Grant. APPLY HERE