DEADLINE: FRIDAY, DECEMBER 13TH, 2019
Applications are now open for the Journalism Now Scholar programme put together by the Thomson Foundation.
The programme will help journalist hone their newsgathering, storytelling and multimedia journalism skills during the five-week programme with the help of an internationally renowned journalist, Ewen MacAskill.
Successful journalists will take seven of CPD-accredited online courses including Mobile Journalism, Social Media Newsgathering, Journalism Across Multiple Platforms, and Data Journalism, and will work on one or more stories that will be published.
The highest performer will be invited on an all-expenses-paid trip to London to attend the 2020 Thomson Foundation five-week summer course, which includes a mixture of masterclasses, workshops and practical training and a week’s placement at a leading UK media organisation.
Another small number of top performers will also be acknowledged on Thomson Foundation website and social media.
Deadline to complete the Scholar programme is Friday 13th December, 2019.
Starting 1st November until 13th December, 2019, applicants will:
- Know what good journalism looks like and why.
- Improve newsgathering skills, including social media verification and the use of data journalism techniques.
- Use smartphones to produce multimedia storytelling.
- Engage audience by making content engaging and relevant.
- Understand how to optimise content for chosen platforms.
- Ewen MacAskill will guide through the programme with interactive live sessions and ongoing feedback.
Applicants are expected to start taking the courses listed below by following the links to each courses.
It is also recommended that applicants take the courses in the order listed as topics will be covered in sequence during the Scholar programme.
You will then be invited to join the platform and Ewen’s first webinar on Friday 8th November.
HOW TO APPLY:
1. Complete seven Thomson Foundation online courses (you don’t need to re-take a course if you have previously completed it).
- Building Trust and Reputation OR Ethical Journalist’s Toolkit
- Social Media Newsgathering
- Data Journalism: Getting Started
- Mobile Journalism: Getting Started
- Online Media Production
- Growing and Engaging Your Audience
- Journalism Across Multiple Platforms
2. Attend or watch the replay of up to four webinars with Ewen MacAskill.
3. Work on and publish a multimedia story.