Journalists and media practitioners in Nigeria seeking to apply for media opportunities can apply for the following programmes.
These media opportunities including awards, fellowships, grants have deadlines in August 2020.
Journalists and media practitioners seeking media opportunities can also check other opportunities from the long list below.
- Free Press Awards: DEADLINE: AUGUST 1, 2020 – The Free Press Awards is calling for nominations for two of its awards category – The Most Resilient Journalist and Newcomer of the Year. APPLY HERE
- $5,000 science journalism awards: DEADLINE: AUGUST 1, 2020 – Kavli Foundation is accepting applications for the 2020 edition of the Science Journalism Awards. APPLY HERE
- PTCIJ’s natural resource, extractives journalism training: DEADLINE: AUGUST 9, 2020 ― Applications are invited from journalists for the PTCIJ’s Natural Resource and Extractives Programme (NAREP) virtual training on Nigeria’s Natural Resource and Extractive Sector Reporting in Nigeria. APPLY HERE
- Fetisov Journalism Awards: DEADLINE: AUGUST 10, 2020 ― Representatives of professional journalism organisations (unions/associations/societies) and freelance journalists are eligible to apply for the 2020 Fetisov Journalism Awards. APPLY HERE
- Rory Peck Awards: DEADLINE: AUGUST 10, 2020 ― Freelance journalists including reporters, filmmakers, photojournalists and camera operators across the world can apply for the Rory Peck Awards APPLY HERE
- 2020 Thomson Foundation Young Journalist Award: DEADLINE: AUGUST 14, 2020 — Journalists below the age of 30 can from countries with a Gross National Income (GNI) per capita of less than $20,000 can apply for the 2020 Thomson Foundation Young Journalist Award. APPLY HERE
- Africa-China environmental journalism training workshop: DEADLINE: AUGUST 20, 2020 ― The Africa-China Reporting Project (the Project) at Wits Journalism is inviting journalists with interests or experience in environmental journalism to submit proposals for an Online Environmental Journalism Training Workshop. APPLY HERE
- African Fact-Checking Awards: DEADLINE: AUGUST 22, 2020 ― Interested applicants can now apply for the 2020 edition of the annual African Fact-Checking Awards. APPLY HERE
- Alfred Friendly Press Fellowship: DEADLINE: AUGUST 31, 2020 ― Applications are now open for the Alfred Friendly Press fellows worldwide. APPLY HERE
MORE OPPORTUNITIES FROM I-79 MEDIA
DEADLINE: SEPTEMBER 25, 2020 ― The Dorothy and Lewis B. Cullman Center for Scholars and Writers is calling for applications for its 2021-2022 International Fellowship. APPLY HERE
DEADLINE: OCTOBER 28, 2020 ― Journalists in Africa can apply for training and grants from the Thomson Reuters Foundation to investigate sports management in their countries or other African countries. APPLY HERE
DEADLINE: DECEMBER 31, 2020 ― The Pulitzer Center on Crisis Reporting is seeking proposals that develop innovative approaches to reporting on the novel coronavirus crisis using collaboration among journalists and newsrooms across state lines or national borders. APPLY HERE.
Newsrooms can now apply to the Solutions Journalism Network (SJN) for funds to sponsor and cover solutions journalism reports. APPLY HERE
DEADLINE: ROLLING BASIS ― The Pulitzer Center on Crisis Reporting is accepting applications for innovative data-driven journalism projects that spotlight underreported issues. APPLY HERE
DEADLINE: Roling basis ― The National Geographic Society is calling for journalists all around the globe who wish to cover COVID-19 within their own communities to apply for its COVID-19 emergency fund. APPLY HERE.
DEADLINE: Roling basis ― Female journalists who have been affected by the COVID-19 pandemic can apply for the International Women’s Media Foundation (IWMF)’s $2,000 Journalism Relief Fund. APPLY HERE.