DECEMBER 13, 2019.
Africa Check, an independent, non-partisan organisation is seeking qualified applicant to fill the position of a Researcher.
Africa Check assesses claims made in the public arena using journalistic skills and evidence drawn from the latest online tools, readers, public sources and experts, sorting fact from fiction and publishing the results.
The Researcher, at Africa Check, is responsible for identifying important claims in public debate to be fact-checked, undertaking research to verify or debunk them and writing up the findings in an easily understandable way.
ALSO READ: Community media key to national development ― OGTV GM
Key responsibilities include:
- Researching and producing reports on key claims circulating in public debate in South Africa and southern Africa
- Acting as a spokesperson for Africa Check, including speaking at events and in the media on claims in the researcher’s subject area
- Assisting in training workshops and other events for media, civil society organisations, the general public and policymakers
- Contributing to impact tracking and assessment of Africa Check’s work, including reporting on a regular basis
- A bachelor’s degree
- A minimum of three years’ experience in fact-related fields such as media, research and academia
- Well-honed nonsense detector
- Passion for news
- Ability to act impartially
- Attention to detail
- Ability to explain complex issues in simple language
- Strong numeracy, analytical and research skills
- Specialist subject knowledge in, for example, health, economics or statistics (advantageous)
- Fluency in an African language/French (advantageous)
Interested applicants should submit a CV with a cover letter explaining why he/she would be ideal for the position to firstname.lastname@example.org by 13 December 2019.
Applicants are to use the following subject line: “Application for Researcher position”.
In the cover letter, applicants should suggest a claim in the news that should be fact-checked and importantly, why he/she thinks it matters.