DEADLINE: FRIDAY, MAY 15, 2020 ― The ACOS Alliance (A Culture of Safety Alliance) offers bursaries for 16 freelance journalists to access an online safety training course produced by Silk Road.
Starting on June 1, 2020, selected participants will have free access for 30 days to five online course modules covering different thematic areas that are relevant when working in a hostile environment: Travel and Personal Safety, Terrorism and Public Disorder, Frontline Conflict Survival, Disaster and Extreme Environments, and First Aid.
The course provides a baseline of knowledge and reference points upon which to layer existing and future experience.
The course includes video presentations, interactive presentations, quizzes, 360-degree films and a series of live webinars.
The filmed content, particularly the 360-degree films, can work well on virtual reality headsets such as the Oculus if you are able to access these.
The live webinars provide a chance to ask questions and seek any clarification required. Participants will be able to place questions within the ‘comments’ area of the course modules in advance.
Silk Road course leaders are experienced and fully qualified safety trainers. Silk Road will also invite a guest expert to contribute to a webinar with a focus on COVID-19, and a specific threat or theme that is directly relevant to participants in the training. Webinars dates will be confirmed in advance.
Participants are required to meet these requirements:
- Secure access to a laptop, computer or tablet; and a good internet connexion. Participants should be able to log in to Silk Road’s training platform using a unique password, play videos, download materials, and connect to live webinars (camera and headphones or speakers needed).
- Participants don’t need a virtual reality headset. If you have access to one, it will enhance your 360-degree film experience, but this is not a requirement.
- Be proficient in English. The course content is currently only available in this language.
- Priority will be given to freelance journalists working in hostile environments. The course is open to freelancers in need of a refresher.
- On completion of the full online course, Silk Road will provide participants with certification detailing their success. Silk Road is amongst the first to offer such training in this format, be aware that some news organizations may not recognise this course.
The ACOS Alliance and Silk Road are keen to evaluate the impact and performance of this course, and participants are expected to provide comprehensive feedback.
Application closes by Friday 15, May 2020.